History

The history of Chippenham Town Band goes back many years, certainly to the late 1890s, when they were called the Chippenham Town Silver Band. This band carried on up until the Second World War, when they became the Wiltshire Home Guard Band (Dads Army). After a short time following the end of the war they reformed as the Chippenham Town Silver Band. This band did very well in brass band contests, becoming top band in the Wessex Brass Band Association. However the band closed down around 1953.

Kington St Michael Fete, June 2011

Alan Horner, Band Master
(picture courtesy of Stewart Shape, Buzzard Films)

In 1992 the then Mayor, Doug Cleverly, was instrumental in reforming the Town Band as a Wind Band, comprising wind instruments as well as brass. Doug supported the band as Chairman and then President for many years. Len Goodridge took over from Doug and is our current President.

Alan Horner has been the Band Master since the band was reformed in 1992, having received his Band Master Certificate in 1974. He started playing brass instruments in 1947 and has played in various bands both as a professional and an amateur, performing in Germany, France, Gibraltar, Cyprus and all over the UK. Alan is now retired but still enjoys playing the flugel horn and trumpet.

Throughout the year, the band plays at many local fetes, dining in nights for the RAF, charity events, carol playing at Christmas, and in various local bandstands. The band also toured in Germany in 2003 and Holland in 2005, playing at various venues as well as enjoying some sightseeing.

Comments are closed.